Monday 6 June 2011

The One About the Hole in the Road...

Last Friday I was driving home from work as usual, glad that is was Friday and I had two days to do with whatever I wanted (after the weekly shop on the way home that is).  Then as I went up the hill towards the mini round about, I saw a police car parked in the middle of the road on the other side, where I wanted to go.  Traffic was still going down the road, so when it was my turn at the round about I went down my exit.  Well imagine my surprise when I find out the reason for the hole, is a very very large hole in the road.  I had no idea what had caused it, just that it was there!

Image courtesy of the Manchester Evening News
Anyway, the radio on the way home, a bit later on said the road was now closed, diversions were in place(remember this bit for later) but that workmen were on their way, and it would re-open again on the Saturday.  So I thought nothing of it again, except to tell M about it in passing when he got home from the stag do.

So this morning, I was driving along to work as normal, and there is a sign just before my turning saying the road was closed.  I looked for diversion signs and there weren't any.  So I rather than turning right, I had to keep going down the road.  I've only been in the job a month, so don't know that area at all.  So I thought I'll ring M, he knows the area as he works in Bury too.  Could I get my bluetooth thing to work??? No!  Did I have the SatNav with me??? No, because M had it to direct him over the weekend to Bristol.  So I was starting to panic.  I pulled over down a side street, and rang M - all he got out of me was this harassed garbled jumble of words.  Once he got it out of me, he simply said turn round head back the way you came and jump on the motorway.  So simple when you think about it, but I'd never been on the motorway there before so it didn't spring to mind.  So off I went.  As I approached the closed road (on my left now) guess what I saw.... a diversion sign!!!  I was so cross - why on earth would they out a diversion in place if you approach from one direction, and not the other!  Needless to say I followed the diversion and got to work just fine.  But by the time I got there I was fuming!!!!!

5 comments:

Sue aka Greyhound Lover said...

Oh lord Gem I would have been the same as you! love reading your blog and all the stories and updates on the house, which is looking beautiful!

Sue x

Sian said...

Ack! There is no answer to that really lol

Alison said...

I would have been mightily cheesed off too!
Alison xx

Jimjams said...

How annoying.
Good job you had a phone to ask for advice.

WendyB said...

Did you find out what had caused it? Hope it's all sorted now.